Brussels Airlines is the flag carrier airline of Belgium. It is a subsidiary of Lufthansa. It is the largest airline based in Belgium. The airline is a member of Star Alliance.
Brussels Airlines was created following the merger of SN Brussels Airlines and Virgin Express in 2006. Brussels Airlines began operations in 2007.
In 2008, it was announced that Lufthansa would acquire a 45% stake in Brussels Airlines with an option to acquire the remaining 55% from 2011. As a part of this deal, Brussels Airlines would join Star Alliance, which happened in December 2009. In June 2009, Brussels Airlines announced that the European Commission had granted approval for Lufthansa to take over Brussels Airlines.