In the history of aviation in Switzerland, there are two Balair airlines; the first one existed from 1925 to 1931 and was a progenitor of Swissair. The second Balair started in 1953 as a flying school and pilot training organisation. Commercial service began in 1957. Scheduled service started in 1965. Balair became an all jet airline in 1982. By this time, Swissair was a majority owner and in 1993 merged Balair with another subsidiary, CTA (Compagnie de Transport Aerien) to form BalairCTA.
BalairCTA became Belair after the demise of the Swissair Group.